St. Patrick’s – Porteño -style
Ireland may be half a world away from Buenos Aires, but every March 17th you’ll start to doubt it. Why March 17? Because it’s St. Patrick’s Day! In Argentina, it’s a chance for porteños descended from the country’s 50,000 Irish immigrants to celebrate their heritage, and for everyone else to dress in green, enjoy some traditional music, and drink fantastic beer.
St. Patrick’s Day celebrates Ireland’s most famous patron saint, who — according to thе legend — freed the island from an infestation of snakes. You won’t find any reptiles in Buenos Aires; instead, a festive parade will slither its way across the neighborhood of Retiro from 7-8pm, beginning at Suipacha and Arroyo Str and ending in Plaza San Martin.
From there, the fun moves on to Guinness-soaked Reconquista Str, home to many of the city’s traditional Irish pubs. It’s a rollicking way to pay homage to two of everyone’s favorite figures — San Patricio and Santa Cerveza!
Saint Patrick’s Day is a public holiday in some places like the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Newfoundland and Labrador as well as Montserrat. In other countries where there’s relatively big Irish Diaspora people also celebrate the holiday – Great Britain, Canada, the United States, Argentina, Australia, and New Zealand, among others. Some people even claim that St. Patrick’s Day is probably the most widely celebrated saint’s day in the world.
By: Triptrotting Team
Did you miss our last event at Godoy Disco Bar? Do you want to meet travelers and mingle with locals with some music, sunshine, and perhaps even a frizbee?
Look out Buenos Aires! Triptrotting presents TRIPup Buenos Aires PICNIC Edition!
Sunday, February 26th, 3:00pm
At the gazebo of Bosques de Palermo
(J.F. Kennedy & Av del Libertador, across from the US Embassy)
You can RSVP for Triptrotting’s TRIPup Buenos Aires PICNIC here.
Oh, don’t forget to bring your own towel!
By: Nipun Parikh
14th January…. In many places around the world, January 14 may just be January 14. But every year in my part of India, this day is celebrated as ‘Uttarayan’. I live in Ahmedabad in the state of Gujarat, which lies in the northwestern part of my country, bordering the Indian Ocean. January 14 is the day when nearly the entire population of Ahmedabad can be found on roofs of buildings flying kites and having endless fun. A few few months back, my friends Rahul, Piyush, Palak, Amit, Nishith, and I had a small get together to hang around and chat. After being on the topic of Uttarayan for some time, we suddenly decided that this time around, we would step up to orgnize and host Ahmedabad’s first Triptrotting.com TRIPup event: kite flying at Uttarayan.
From there we began to brainstorm every day how to make it a wonderful event for Triptrotters heading to Uttarayan to enjoy the city, the culture, and of course, the kites. Each day we collected more and more ideas for the event. Eventually, we began to put our plan into action by sending out the invitation on Triprtrotting website — we immediately saw a positive response. Next we scouted for a meeting spot/venue, and decided on the roof of a commerce college in the heart of old city was fixed thanks to our friend Piyush. The enthusiasm grew and our ideas materialized. Soon enough, we began to receive messages and requests from travelers excited to attend the Uttarayan fetival. Ten days before the festival we had already reached our estimated capacity, with even more requests coming in!
Many travelers were provided with Triptrotting hosts — originally I was going to host two travelers, but ended up hosting six! And they hailed from all corners of the world: two from Serbia, three from China, and one from Norway.
Let’s be honest… Who doesn’t like FREE stuff, especially when we are traveling? Tight budgets, thousands already spent on transportation and almost nothing left to spend in the travel destination. It could be rather frustrating… That is why our friends at Free Sofia Tour decided to put together a list of all Free Tours that they could find around the world, from Vilnius to Sydney to Mumbai. It’s truly amazing.
So here you go, sorted by city name (if you know any other tours, please email us and we’ll add it here):
- Amsterdam, Netherlands – New Amsterdam Tours
- Athens, Greece – Athens Free Walking Tour
- Barcelona, Spain – Runner Bean Tours
- Barcelona, Spain – B Side Free Tour Barcelona
- Bath, UK – The Mayor of Bath’s Corps of Honorary Guides
- Belgrade, Serbia – Belgrade Walking Tours
- Berlin, Germany – Alternative Berlin Tours
- Berlin, Germany – Brewer’s Berlin Tours Free Express Tour
- Berlin, Germany – New Berlin Free Tours
- Brasov, Romania – Guided Brasov Free City Tour
- Bratislava, Slovakia – Be Free Tours
- Brussels, Belgium – Brussels Greeters
- Brussels, Belgium – New Brussels Free Tour
- Bucharest, Romania – Guided Bucharest
- Budapest, Hungary – Free Budapest Walking Tours
- Budapest, Hungary – Free Budapest Tours
- Buenos Aires, Argentina – BA Free Tour
- Copenhagen, Denmark – New Copenhagen Tours
- Cusco, Peru – Free Walking Tour Peru
- Dublin, Ireland – Pat Liddy’s Walking Tours
- Dublin, Ireland – New Dublin Tours
- Edinburgh, Scotland – New Edinburgh Tours
- Florence, Italy – New Florence Free Tour
- Hamburg, Germany – New Hamburg Tours
- Istanbul, Turkey – Istanbul Free Tour
- Istanbul, Turkey – Free Walking Tours Istanbul
- Jerusalem, Israel – New Jerusalem Tours
- Krakow, Poland – Free Walking Tour
- Lima, Peru – Lucid Lima
- Lisbon, Portugal – Lisbon Free Tour
- Ljubljana, Slovenia – Ljubljana Free Tour
- London, UK – New London Tours
- London, UK – Alternative London Free Tour
- Madrid, Spain – My Madrid Free Tour
- Madrid, Spain – New Madrid Tours
- Melbourne, Australia – Melbourne Free Tour
- Melbourne, Australia – Meltours
- Milan, Italy – New Milan Free Tour
- Moscow, Russia – Free Moscow Tour
- Mumbai, India – Let’s Walk Mumbai
- Munich, Germany – New Munich Free Tour
- New Orleans, United States – Free Walking Tours of New Orleans
- New York, United States – NY By Foot
- Odessa, Ukraine – Free Tours Odessa
- Paris, France – City Free Tour
- Paris, France – New Paris Tours
- Paris, France – Paris Walks
- Philadelphia, United States – Free Walking Tours of Philadelphia
- Pisa, Italy – Free Pisa Tour
- Plovdiv, Bulgaria – Free Plovdiv Tour
- Porto, Portugal – Porto Free Tour
- Prague, Czech Republic – Prague Extravaganza Free Tour
- Prague, Czech Republic – New Prague Free Tour
- Prague, Czech Republic – Royal Walk Free Tour
- Riga, Latvia – Yellow Free Tours
- Reykjavik, Iceland – Reykjavik Free Walking Tour
- Rome, Italy – New Rome Free Tour
- Rome, Italy – Rome Free Tour
- Saint Petersburg, Russia – Saint Petersburg Free Tour
- San Francisco, US – San Francisco City Guides
- Santiago, Chile – Free Tour Santiago
- Santiago, Chile – Spicy Chile
- Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina – Free Sarajevo Walking Tours
- Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina – Sarajevo Insider Free Tour
- Sevilla, Spain – Sevilla Free Tour
- Sofia, Bulgaria – Free Sofia Tour
- Stockholm, Sweden – Free Tour Stockholm
- Sydney, Australia – I’m Free
- Sydney, Australia – Peek Tours
- Tallinn, Estonia – Yellow Free Tours
- Tampere, Finland – Tampere Free Tour
- Tel Aviv, Israel – New Tel Aviv Tour
- Tokyo, Japan – Free Tokyo Tour
- Tokyo, Japan – Tokyo Free Guide
- Toronto, Canada – Tour Guys
- Utrecht, Netherlands – Utrecht Free Tours
- Vancouver, Canada – Tour Guys
- Venice, Italy – New Venice Free Tour
- Vilnius, Lithuania – Yellow Free Tours
- Washington, US – DC By Foot
For Triptrotters visiting or living in Los Angeles, we co-hosted a black-tie TRIPup Halloween masquerade at the W Hotel in Hollywood with special performance by Tyson Ritter from the All American Rejects afterparty! All while watching some spooky black and white movies, sipping on complimentary Casa Torelli wine and amazing appetizers from our co-sponsor Wimdu.com.
Triptrotters received complimentary entrance, free drinks and appetizers!
If you are not in Los Angeles, no worries! Keep up with our events on the events page and you can even host your own TRIPup in your own city!
After flying across three continents, two oceans, and exploring much of Eastern Europe in just a month, it seemed fitting that my Ultimate Triptrotting Adventure end where it started just a few short months before: in LA. City of angels, of beaches, of aspiring actors and actresses from around the globe. Far more relevant to my time there, however, was LA as base for the Triptrotting office! This is where it had all began, the idea for the contest, the launch, the votes, the decision to send me abroad as am ambassador-of-sorts for the company. Here is where the founders live, work, and lay the foundations for travelers around the world to connect and to gain the ‘local’ experience. How truly symbolic that my ‘local’ experience in LA happened to be with the very people who inspired it all!
And boy did they hook me up! From staying in a typical LA apartment, complete with pool and access to shopping and celebrities at the nearby Grove, to invites to excusive guest-listed clubs and afterparties, to wine-tasting of some fabulous California wine, to night time drives up the hills to see LA spread out below, and beyond. I’m talking Michael Jackson tributes, the grand opening of an ice-cream parlour, Mexican restaurant hopping, Korean BBqs, lounging on Santa Monica Beach, partying with some of LA’s finest at the exclusive birthday party of a well-known event planner, and a day spent at Walt Disney studios (normally off limits to members of the public). Not to mention tours of the Triptrotting office, where so much magic happens! Photo shoots with the team, time spent giving interviews in the studio, the chance to see an album being recorded by an up-and-coming Seattle hip-hop duo Striking Back. Oh, and in case you’re not convinced that my time in LA was suitably awesome, Triptrotting also invited me to the very first TRIPup event in LA. There, I had the chance to meet up with other locals and travelers at the beautiful W Hotel in Hollywood. All-in-all, not a bad introduction to the city of LA!
You don’t wanna hear it from me though, check out video evidence on Triptrotting TV instead!
By: Aigerim Duis
What do Milan and Sofia have in common? They have hundreds of Triptrotters who got together this month for an amazing night out in town with locals and travelers! Great food, drinks and awesome new friends… What else can you ask for?
On October 17, 2011 Triptrotters together with the Free Sofia Tour rocked Sofia’s Club Culture Beat! Thanks to an amazing Location Adviser Boyko, who has put the event together! According to Sofia Tonight “Culture beat is not just a nightclub or boutique- café, not just a bar or a place, where you can eat something tasty. It’s all taken together and before that- it is the new home and cultural center for artists and people who feel such as them. Culture beat is a crazy strong mix of styles. Sofia’s industrial, street vintage and socialism in contrast of elegant and aristocratic elements which have been sited in one great culture chic. Moreover, the entry in Culture beat, the first thing that you can feel is the flowing sense of comfort and coziness” It was a perfect venue for Triptrotting event! Locals, young professionals and students from Sofia and Tilburg Universities came to hang out with travelers and expats in the city.
On October 14 another Location Adviser, Anna, hosted TRIPup in Milan at a local Mag Cafe in the heart of the city. The beautiful photography and art design of the Mag Cafe were perfect reflections of the eclectic culture of Milano! TRIPup Milan brought together locals and travelers – Students from University of Milan and Bocconi, young professionals from local companies and backpackers got to make new friends and enjoy awesome Aperitifs from the Mag Cafe. We are definitely hosting more events in Milan soon!
To see all of Triptrotting’s past TRIPups and even apply to host one in your city, visit our new Triptrotting Events page!
Join us for more fun ways to meet interesting people and make new friends!
By Triptrotting Team
Did you know that there are Triptrotters in over 470 cities worldwide?!? Now, you can meet up with Triptrotters in your own city – launching the first TRIPup by Triptrotting event in New York City this Sunday, June 26, 2011. If you are in New York City this weekend (local or traveler), come join the Triptrotting team, Triptrotters, our partners, and other travel enthusiasts for an evening of fun!
We will be launching more events all over the world in the coming months!
Location / Time
137 Ave C
New York, NY 10009
Sunday, June 26, 2011 from 6:00 PM – 11:00 PM (ET)